Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Wedding Don't DIY (Wedding Regrets)

I love doing DIYs and I think it shows through this blog. I have a can do attitude and most things I believe I can make myself and possible make it even better. (That is my ego talking/blogging, not me.) However, there are some things I always suggest to my clients to leave it to the professionals. Here are my top five things I believe are wedding DON'T DIY (or wedding regrets.)

1) Photos
Don't ask/or let your cousin Harry be your wedding photographer because he just bought a new camera/is interested in starting a wedding photography business and needs to build up his portfolio/ or he is willing to do it for free. Likely he won't be able to capture all the right moments, at the right angle, at the right time.

Don't just use disposable cameras for your wedding. Your guests will likely be taking stupid pictures of each other or of their food. You won't get pictures worthy of hanging or in an album. Maybe good ones for scrapbooking though.

Corson building ceremony

2) Wedding Dress
Unless you are a designer by trade or the child of a master seamstress that inherited some dress making genes, I wouldn't tackle this project just because you bought a new sewing machine from Costco. Best to buy or even borrow one.

Seattle wedding

3) Food
A lot of my clients have some cooking skills but the reason why "food" is on the list is because you are not likely used to or have experience cooking for 100+ guests, or even 50+ guests. The food might not turn out poorly but will likely stress you out completely on a day when it should be relatively stress-free.

corson building reception

4) Flowers
Even if you are going for a freestyle handheld boho flower bouquet, it really won't look the same as a professional florist's version. You can take a course on flower arranging to boost your confidence, but it won't boost your skill set drastically.

berry toned bouquet

5) Music
Years ago I learned you can rent all the DJ equipment needed for your wedding for a fraction of the price of hiring a DJ. I was intrigued when I was looking at a price list, then I was horrified by the questions I overheard from the people renting the items. Very few of them knew what they needed or how to operate it. While I believe almost anyone can play music, few amateurs will be able to create ambiance and a lively entertaining environment for your guests.

guests together

photography: Michele M. Waite 

What do you think of this Don't DIY list? Agree or disagree? Let me know what your thoughts are!

~Monica Hui
Owner, Lead Planner and Designer
If you like our weekly ramblings, LIKE us on our 
Wishahmon page too! More goes on there!

1 comment:

  1. Grand piece of information!!! I am getting married and although I am having a traditional wedding, I want it to be memorable. Suggest me some good wedding ideas, I love fun and laughing, I want to make my wedding different!!!

    ReplyDelete

Suggested Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...