Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Calgary Public Library Volunteer Appreciation Event 2014

If you didn't know already, I am born and raised in Calgary and I am one of the few of my friends that have a library card. (Ok, maybe you wouldn't have known about the library card.) When I was contacted to help out with the Calgary Public Library's Annual Volunteer Appreciation Event, I knew I was going to help out in whatever way I could.

I haven't heard of this event and when I met Azmin, Manager of Volunteer Resources, I immediately teared up hearing about the event. This is a volunteer recognition event and this one is particularly special because they are celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Homebound Readers Program. The highest award called John Dutton Volunteer of the Year will go to five individuals who were the first group of volunteers who signed up 40 years ago and they are still volunteering with the Calgary Public Library. Having 40 years of dedication is amazing!

For the event, we designed and decorated the main stage for the event, the VIP area, and the VIP photo backdrop. The award recipients had the opportunity to have their picture taken as a group with Mayor Naheed Nenshi. (Absolutely love the guy!)

As a non-profit, there wasn't a huge budget to work with. I was volunteering my time, materials, and resources but still needed a little bit of help. When I called some of my vendor friends, they were quick to help and assist with the event. I couldn't have done the event without the help of:

Mariza and Barry of Red Rose Florist;
Chad of Allstar Show Industries;
Catherine of Great Event Rentals; and
Inge of Atlantic Antigua Wholesale.

If you would like to volunteer with the library, there are many opportunities to do so. Check out what they have to offer. It is definitely worth your time, whether it is once a week, a month, a year, or 40 years!

~Monica Hui
Owner, Lead Planner and Designer
If you like our weekly ramblings, LIKE us on our 
Wishahmon page too! More goes on there!



  

Awards for volunteer recipients


VIP room

Photo Backdrop For Volunteers and Mayor Nenshi!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggested Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...